2 years ago when we decided to move away to Grad School, we knew that our finances would be tight. We knew that we'd have to use some student loans to help get us by. We knew we'd have to budget and live more frugally than we were used to. It was all part of our plan... but our plan has changed a bit and our finances strapped further, due to some unexpected things that have come up lately. Now, I can't help but feel a little stressed!
I would be lying if I said I wasn't overwhelmed right now. I've heard it said that bad things always happen in 3's... and we've definitely had our 3, and then some. I'm really hoping our luck changes soon! I'll share some of the details...
A few weeks ago I broke a tooth. Seriously? Turns out I had a cavity and it weakened the entire portion of my tooth that broke off. Well, now I needed a crown... a $1500 crown! This is not great news for anyone... but especially for someone who's on a strict budget. I felt really bad, but what can you do? We bit the bullet and took care of it. It hasn't helped much... my tooth STILL hurts when I try to chew on that side, and it's actually pretty miserable. The dentist says I shouldn't have pain, so I probably need a ROOT CANAL! What? I've never had bad teeth in all my life and now this? I'm trying to hold off until we get back to Utah this summer to have my Uncle/Awesomest Dentist Ever, take care of it for me. Not only do I trust him, but I've come to appreciate and enjoy the "family discount" too. We'll see if I can make it that long.
Next on our hit list was the dermatologist. Briggs has had a little wart problem on his foot, and Belle had a couple sketchy moles as did I... so I decided to have a family day at the Derm. We had to be on a waiting list for months, but I just really felt like we needed to go... and I am SO happy we did. Turns out Briggs's warts had mostly healed on their own, though Belle had a different virus that needed to be treated, and I needed to have a biopsy done on a mole of mine, and atypical cells were found. Not necessarily cancer cells, but atypical one's... so I need to be sure I get checked out a lot more frequently. It definitely could've been worse, so I can't complain. There's no price too great to keep my kids, and myself healthy... right?!? (Don't they look happy to see the doc?)
Our car has had issues (thank goodness for an awesome warranty), Zach's school is expensive... but it felt really good paying for our LAST semester/graduation, Briggs is SICKer than a dog, I haven't slept in days, we've had other unexpected bills to pay, and the Mister is starting to stress about finding a job after graduation. I'm usually the positive/optimistic one, but even I am having a hard time these days.
I know that we are doing what we were supposed to do, and we need to trust in that same faith that brought us to D.C. in the first place. It's hard though! I do know that everything will work out in it's own time, and that it's part of the Lord's plan for us. I just need to be patient.
We've come to the decision that come graduation, if we don't have a job set up by then... then we're going to pack up our things and move back to Utah, at least until we find something else. That way we can focus our search on the Western States, closer to family and friends, and where we'd ultimately love to settle down and be. It does make me sad thinking of leaving our friends out here though... friends that have become more like family. We love you guys!
Keep your fingers crossed for us, that everything will work out the way it should. We don't know what we're even hoping for... I guess just for peace of mind while making these next huge decisions in our life. Thanks to you all for your continued love and support for our family.
We love you all!
8 comments:
Seriously, don't you just wish you could see the future?! It would just make A LOT of thing easier if we could just see where we were supposed to be in 5 years...GOOD LUCK with everything!!!
Oh Darb you are the cutest! I just love you and your little family. Everything will work out for you..IT ALWAYS does! You will look back and think, what the heck was I worried about, life is great! You are beautiful my dear and I just love you! Can't wait to see you! And i must admit i am praying you move back to UTAH and SOON! xoxo
Darbee you are the cutest thing out there! You guys will make it! Zach is so great and will find a job in no time...even if it is in Utah (which we would LOVE). I seriously love reading your blog about you and your cute family! I think there are just random "crazy" patches of life for us all:) You will get through it! Best of luck to you guys and we hope to see you soon:) Love you lots!
Darb everything will work out. I know there are great things in store for you guys. I will be so sad to see you go but so excited to see you guys put all Zach's good schooling to work :) I hope Briggs is feeling better. Poor guy! xoxoxox
Darb, you're starting to sound like me... now STOP it! You said it right when you said we just need to keep the faith and I've come to the conclusion (many a times) that faith is about all we need! Somehow it all seems to work itself out :)
We are thinking about you guys. Life can get crazy and tight for sure. Good luck and CoNgRaTs and getting ready to graduate. :) Hopefully we can get together again sometime soon.
Hang in there Darbee. I've been in your shoes before. Down the road you'll be able to see why things happen as they do...but it sure is hard getting to that point!
Hope your tooth feels better!!
Oh Darb, I totally feel for you guys! I can't believe it was only last year we were in your shoes (except the root canal...but I've had some work done on my teeth since we finished grad school too ;)
Before you know it you guys will have a great job and be missing the adventure of grad school...good luck with everything!!
Post a Comment