Thursday, April 29, 2010

Briggs's Field Trip to the White House

Today I was able to accompany Briggs's Kindergarten class on their field trip to the White House. It was AwEsOmE. (although I have very few pictures to show for it!) :(

The Rangers and guides geared our tour to more of the things the 6 year olds would think was interesting and cool, like the different President's pets, or the many rooms of the White House... the theater, the bowling alley, etc. The kids all did really well, even during some of the boring parts. :)

We were supposed to eat our lunch out on the front lawn, but Secret Service shut it down. The Rangers giving us the tour said it could mean that someone special was about to come to, or leave the White House. She wasn't optimistic because they hadn't shut down all the traffic yet, and they usually do. As she was explaining it, helicopters started circling the White House checking for safety, and armed guards suddenly multiplied on the roof of the home. It was so cool... especially when we started hearing the sirens. The motorcade drove past us on the road below, then up the next block and pulled right into the driveway of the home... and blocked our view from seeing exactly WHO was going inside. The kids were certain it was "Bo-Rock" Obama and I'm pretty sure it was too. ;)
It was definitely something that made our trip special. The kids couldn't stop talking about it, and I'm sure it will be one of those memories that they will remember for a very long time.



















Today was one of those days where I was happy to live in D.C. and have opportunities like these for my kids.

7 comments:

Gary and Robyn Beynon said...

Sooo Cool!!! Love being able to see and be a small part of Briggs field trip. I sure don't remember having a field trip like that! Great pictures.

Gary and Robyn Beynon said...

Sooo Cool!!! Love being able to see and be a small part of Briggs field trip. I sure don't remember having a field trip like that! Great pictures.

LagaFamily said...

Looks so fun! I'm sure Zach told you we are heading out that way in a few weeks. We are really excited to see all of the sites. Hope to hook up with you guys sometime!

Jen Bird said...

That is so awesome!! Sometimes I go on the field trips and I think I even have more fun than the kids!! You feel like you get a backstage pass to places!! :) What a fun place to live!!

Kristin said...

Darbee, your kids are so cute and getting so big.

Alisha said...

That is so fun. I lived in Maryland during Middle School & the field trips are just so different when you live near the nation's capitol! Fun that you got to go with Briggs!

JB Mauss said...

So jealous! I think we did Hogle Zoo. :)
Jenn